The Code of Solaris
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

cosmo solos

5 posters

Go down

cosmo solos Empty cosmo solos

Post  Admin Sat Feb 06, 2010 6:05 am

hey guys,

here is a mix of the cosmonaut solos:

http://www.supload.com/listen?s=yA2dYK

IMO, its too much.
the tapping is very overpowering over a vocal section where words are the main focus, and the shred over cas high note kinda defeats the purpose of having a ascending vocal scale there, if theres going to be a lead guitar section there.
the only thing i really agree with, is the guitar solo. it sounds great, and leads from the vocal scale into a powerful solo. theres purpose for it, and it sounds intentional.
Admin
Admin
Admin

https://codeofsolaris.rpg-board.net

Back to top Go down

cosmo solos Empty Re: cosmo solos

Post  AgentOfChaos Sat Feb 06, 2010 9:43 am

I dunno man, maybe its the music I've been listening to but I like the layering the song now has. There is so much more for a random listener and even for a fellow musician to hear. Take for example, between the buried and me. I don't care for the vox but while the vocalist is screaming/singing there is great guitar work going on behind him. I play along with the song (cass vox included) and it sounds badass. I just add a phaser effect for the tapping and have the volume lower and it sounds great. But we were also talking about extending the beginning or something so that we could add the tapping. We played the song at practice yesterday and it sounded awesome! And about Cass's higher parts, his voice usually cracks during those high parts, it may be better to just not have it. And even if we kept the high vocals, they sound great together since they are both ascending parts. Plus the song is really short, and I've gotten the complaint that there really isn't enough guitar work in terms of soloing. I found a lot of our stuff to be bland in terms of things to listen to in the background. One guitarist could play most of these parts. Its why I told you guys I was gonna work on writing more stuff. But we just need to re-structure the song a bit to incorporate some new ideas. I want the songs to be chaotic in nature but simplistic overall which is what we are just now starting to do. You just have to trust me, I'm very picky with what I listen to personally and its usually the stuff that is very original and being done differently and I want to incorporate some of those methods into our music. Very Happy

Last edited by AgentOfChaos on Sat Feb 06, 2010 5:43 pm; edited 1 time in total
AgentOfChaos
AgentOfChaos

Back to top Go down

Post  frostypookyeddieeddie Sat Feb 06, 2010 11:38 am

David,

Any way you can post the song with vocals as well? That will be the only way to really determine how things go together. And the drums sound off on some parts too.
frostypookyeddieeddie
frostypookyeddieeddie

Back to top Go down

Post  AgentOfChaos Sat Feb 06, 2010 11:53 am

Im sticking to my guns on this one guys. When I play along to Cass vox the song sounds much more interesting to listen to. Plus I say we need to all meet at the practice space one of these days and just try out some of these ideas live. That is the best way to judge any new material we have come up with. I don't want the way the songs are mixed or whatever to be the judge of what gets put in or not. Live is the best way to go. Very Happy
AgentOfChaos
AgentOfChaos

Back to top Go down

Post  Casprin Tue Feb 16, 2010 10:33 am

Its not a guitar song.
:O
Casprin
Casprin

http://Myspace.com/Casprin

Back to top Go down

Post  Casprin Tue Feb 16, 2010 10:33 am

AgentOfChaos wrote:Live is the best way to go. Very Happy

Boy, you have no idea...do you.
lol
Casprin
Casprin

Back to top Go down

Post  Casprin Tue Feb 16, 2010 10:41 am

Ok I've listened to this for two weeks, and the best way I can put it is a guitarist jacking off in my ear.
And like, not in a good way.

Its just too much. It feels to me like Johnny, you see a video, get excited, and want to put stuff in songs for no reason. What ya don't realize is that we will be making hundreds of songs, there's plenty of time, and material. We really shouldn't be worrying so much about this material. and honestly just need to get it done and out there.

Also, I did try singing over it, there are several, SEVERAL sour notes because the lead was not composed with the vocals as far as I can tell. The thing about prog, guys, and Ima say this up front. It is hard as fuck to write vocal melodies too. Adding ANYTHING else that further complexifies it, makes me want to pull my hair out. It took 6 months to write the vocals for this, all the TMOS tracks. They're good, the songs are good. There's not reason to keep beating up the structures and trying to cram as much proggy goodness into each song. It becomes a dick contest.

Less is more.

LESS IS MOOORE.
Also, the new song sounds exactly like Dream Theater. All the new stuff sounds exactly like Dream Theater. I hate it. I hate sounding like Dream Theater. We are not Dream Theater. If you REALLY want me to, I'll sing the exact vocals that the EXACT CHORD PROGRESSION FROM DARK CLOUDS AND SILVER LINING USED during the slow part of A.S.O.C. and record it so there's no debating it. You guys might not hear it, but I do, and everyone I show it to does too. I'm tired of hearing "Wow yall sound just like Dream Theater". that sucks.
Guys, we are better than this. Let's not remake stale prog, and keep to the cutting edge, and innovate.
Just a few things I've had on my mind lately.

I feel like in our rush to write new material, and all this stuff, we're wasting vaaaaluable time, and forgetting what it is we came to do, and CAN do: Change the music scene forever.
Maybe we need to get back to our roots and let our hair go nappy and record simpler things, but right now, I feel like we're complexifying things for the sake of doing so, and that's unnecessary.

And that's my two cents.

See yall soon, and I mean no negativity, just my opinion!

-Cas
Casprin
Casprin

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Tue Feb 16, 2010 1:32 pm

sorry johnny, but i have to agree.
i love rich textures, and clarity in chaos. but when we record the leads, its a very clear production and you really have to have ideas polished off.
some of the tapping techniques are ideas that fredrik, misha, and tosin practice to a metronome for years now. for that reason, thats why i dont even attempt any lick of that sort. i understand you just got these dvds, but when it comes to application.. alot of the ideas are loose and executed sloppy. i cant put any of these takes on myspace, or on a cd for that matter. especially in a vocal driven song.

i also have to agree alot of the riffs sound just like dream theater songs.
if we want any chance at making it, we cant be beating up something thats already been done a million times over.
ive been searching for my own sound since i was 16. ever since i started playing guitar, i recorded everything from day one.
its not really technical, but i know i have discovered what i sound like.
i really dont have any hobbies. i dont play modern warfare or read comics. when i get home from work, im writing music. i have folders and folders of songs, most of them are not great. but i am constantly critiquing myself and debating weather if ive stumbled upon something new or if im digging somewhere thats already been dug.

ive paid my dues, ive moved thousands of miles away to learn from good friends who already are in the industry. and i am humbled and respect their abilities. i moved thousands of miles away to learn nuendo lol. " joking" but in all seriousness, i was walking in the snow to work everyday to make ends meet. and everyone was on their grind up there, they play hard ball.
at this point the respect i show for people above me in the industry, i dont feel im treated the same for what i do in the band.
this isn't casual for me, and i know for a fact my music reflects my dedication; weather its shreddy or not.

i just have to vent.. i learned all the code iris songs and i didnt add a million solos everywhere. its not necessary.
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Josh Tue Feb 16, 2010 5:20 pm

Alright, this is a bit absurd to me. Cas had brought up months ago that we all need to not be afraid of stepping on people's toes and that we need to stop being considerate of everyone else if it means going against what you believe or feel. We are all big boys and can take criticism, so if you don't like something, don't say when we are recording that you like it, or that its good, when it doesn't quite "tickle your fancy."

Think about this and use it from now on. If you don't like it, or if its something that doesn't appeal to you 100%, we toss it. Everyone needs to be on board, and thats why I'm upset because with regarding "A.S.O.C." I was under the impression that everyone liked it. I feel bad because that means we wasted a ton of time recording the 12 minute song, and making Cas record keys, not to mention that I wasted a SHIT-load of time tracking drums. I know though that David and Eddie and Cas had made it known that they had thought Johnny's guitar parts were too flashy for cosmonaut, so that's not what I'm talking about.

David, I'm kind of saddened when I read that you feel like you aren't respected enough. If you can recall, Eddie and I put it out there that we would like YOU to be the main song-writer for the band. I, WE LOVE your sound, experience, and passion for music. That is the reason why I wanted to start working with you from the get-go. I'm sure that Johnny didn't intend on changing your sound either. He just wanted to put some of his ideas and inspiration into it whatever possible, and had you wanted to do the same for some of the Code Iris stuff, we would have gladly give, it a shot. But if it didn't work, we would let it be known up front.

From now on, please please please, no beating around the bush. I know that we all have the right ingredients to make it. We just have to be much better at communicating.

You guys are all like my family, and I hate that the only time we talk to each other, is when we come to find that someone isn't happy. If you guys aren't happy, I'M NOT HAPPY. Makes me a sad panda! We all want the same thing, have the same goals, and most importantly, have the intelligence, appearance, and talent. Lets not waste it! I'm tired of talking, and am ready for more action! Cas, I know that you are about to be finished with school and will be more involved then. David, I'm coming down for Friday, and part of Saturday. Is that cool? Johnny, keep practicing and rocking out. You are getting better and better with every practice we get together for. Please don't take any rejection personal! Eddie, I love you!

Sincerely,

Josh
Josh
Josh

http://www.myspace.com/joshuahughescarpediem

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Tue Feb 16, 2010 5:30 pm

somtimes it comes across as attacks.
and its all good, im still in the mood to make music ect.
im about to head out right now. ill keep in touch soon
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Casprin Tue Feb 16, 2010 5:45 pm

Oh I'm gonna.

But Josh, realize. Life is full of pipe dreams. Not just Dream Theaters. If you think that the time you guys spent on that song is REALLY wasted, you've missed out bigtime. You learned about the studio, practiced programming, and everyone involved practiced their instrument, worked together, got to see one another, and learned a lot about how recording works.

It was a total win. Remember, we're not just in this to make badass songs, but we're in it for the long haul, for the life experience, to better ourselves on ALL fronts as people. So sure, it is a definite we'll all make songs along the way that won't get used, or won't get completed, or people won't like. That's part of the journey. Sometimes a song needs to get DEEP down the pipe before people start realizing its a pipe dream. That's why David and I are not upset bro. We've been doing this shit, and doing this shit, and doing this shit for coming up on a decade now, so it really doesn't bother us. Its not just studio recording, or CHOPS, or any of that either, its just an issue of taste. We can't fall too far off the OBSCURE END that we wind up sacrificing potential listeners because they just aren't prog enough. Remember, we're not a prog band, we're here to progress PROG itself. To me, that means we cannot resign ourselves to ANY one type of music. To me progressive has been pigeonholed by pretty much IGNORANT METALHEADS. Progression can be applied to any genre of music, and WE could be the ones to do it, AND HAVE FUN DOING SO, and grow our fanbase along the way, AND kind of change the game. In a world where artists make more money selling individual songs online, people can buy what they like, and skip what they don't. We need to be on that cutting edge!!! There is no reason a far larger group of people can't enjoy prog music, but for that to happen, someone has to define, or at least redefine, what it is that makes something prog. To me, its not uber technical guitar riffs, or nonfunctional time signatures, or even the length of a song, or how much it changes. That's babyprog stuff to me. What is genius to me, is how with a song that on the surface may seem almost simple, like some older TMOS stuff, but be completely new and unlike anything out there, as well.

My bottom line is this:
While I don't think we need to persay write in the same style as David has up to this point (for two reasons, because that would be making you play his stuff specifically, and in doing so, we would be stopping all progression by playing a style we've already established...) I DO think that it is a good starting point, because it is original, people freaking love it, and it appeals to MANY genres of musical backgrounds.

The music is prog as fuck, rarely over 5 minutes, and all based off of polyrhythmic, 4/4 derivatives. All of the chord progressions can be understood by a level 3 music theory student, but appreciated by anyone.

That to me just REEKS success. Then we can go wherever the yellow brick road might take us. Guys seriously, I would record a whole pop album with you, rap album with you, fuck, country album with you! BUT! We need to make sure, what we're doing FITS us, that is PROGRESSES upon what's been done before, and, honestly, that we try to steer clear of being pigeonholed into a super technical prog band at all.

Think about it.
Everyone in this band has big guns. I can hit the high nots, Josh has the phat beats, Eddie has the phat bass, Johnny has the phat leads, and David has the phat riffs.
BUT!
Because of that, there's no reason to be firing full force ALL THE DAMNED TIME. People know you have big guns, and are around to appreciate it the less you blow their heads off with them. To me, its been as if we're all still trying to impress one another, with our chops, or whatever. But its unnecessary, because we're all the best musicians any of us has ever worked with, and this is the best band we're ever going to have. You know it. I know it. We all know it. There is only a roof on this thing if we put one on it. I say no ceilings, Lil Wayne taught me that. Less is more. Lets make the 12 minute song when WE KNOW IT FITS. When the music DEMANDS it. When the melody DEMANDS it. When the lyrics DEMAND it. Not for the fucksake of it.

Let's not ever make music for the fucksake of it again.
And THAT is where we've been going wrong.

We've got a good thing right now, let's perfect it, hone it, OWN it, and move ON TO THE NEXT ONE.
We can rule the musical world guys.
I mean it.

-Cas
Casprin
Casprin

Back to top Go down

Post  AgentOfChaos Tue Feb 16, 2010 5:55 pm

Casprin wrote:

lol

Enlighten me Cass, how is trying an idea out live in the practice space not a good way to go? Rolling Eyes
AgentOfChaos
AgentOfChaos

Back to top Go down

Post  Casprin Tue Feb 16, 2010 6:01 pm

Admin wrote:
ive been searching for my own sound since i was 16. ever since i started playing guitar, i recorded everything from day one.
its not really technical, but i know i have discovered what i sound like.
i really dont have any hobbies. i dont play modern warfare or read comics. when i get home from work, im writing music. i have folders and folders of songs, most of them are not great. but i am constantly critiquing myself and debating weather if ive stumbled upon something new or if im digging somewhere thats already been dug.

ive paid my dues, ive moved thousands of miles away to learn from good friends who already are in the industry. and i am humbled and respect their abilities. i moved thousands of miles away to learn nuendo lol. " joking" but in all seriousness, i was walking in the snow to work everyday to make ends meet. and everyone was on their grind up there, they play hard ball.
at this point the respect i show for people above me in the industry, i dont feel im treated the same for what i do in the band.
this isn't casual for me, and i know for a fact my music reflects my dedication; weather its shreddy or not.

I would like to mention also Jag and I are on our last semester this term, then we're done. After finals in April I have a year and a semester off before I have to reapply to UCF. I have to work during the week as much as I can because I won't be getting any help from my folks and my modeling is gone after this new car we just had to buy.

But what David said is really true and something that I really take to heart every day of my life.

I want to make sure that everyone reading this knows that by me saying this, I'm not doubting ANY of your life experience at all to this point, WHATSOEVER. I'm sure each and every one of you have seen things David nor I can possibly imagine, and the same for us, to you. HOWEVER:

From here on out guys, this is our life. This is it.
Like, Jag and I got a PS3 for our birthdays, and we barely even use it other than when company's over. We have sworn off MMOs, AND console games, neither of us smoke weed or drink or smoke cigs at all anymore, not even if its free or available. These things are not a top priority right now.

What should be a top priority to every one of us is really simple:
1. Recording and practicing and writing and ENJOYING being a musician should be our new "video game" "drug" "What the fuck ever" because, if we want this life, we have to want it bad and put forth the effort because if not, some one else wants it more and gets it better. Once this semester ends, I have one year and a semester's worth of time to make something of this, and then I'm really just going to call it quits, get my degree, and fiddle with recording as a hobby. Let's not let that happen. Its show time, do we really have time to be jerkin around? I've told all my friends the next time they SEE ME will be on TV, I don't have time for that bullshit because hanging out is the BIGGEST WASTE OF TIME OF ALL. Stop it! Self-improve! You'll thank yourself later!
2. Make money! As much of an evil as money is, it is necessary for us right now to succeed. We should all be spending wisely, and saving up. I am going to try to open the damn band bank account finally on or around the first of March. Jag and I have set up a test Soundclick account to try selling a couple Duality songs just to familiarize ourselves with the software and see how successful it is. We have programs that friend blast 400 new friends EVERY SINGLE DAY and we use them. It helps. Trust me, if your myspace has 100,000 friends, you better believe you're selling records. It took Jag and I -5- years to get the friends we had before we met you guys. Its taken us a week to get 5,000 new ones. Think of the possibilities! We're using it, we have it! We've researched it, EXTENSIVELY for the past year, tested it on Duality for the post year, and recognize it being used by many, many other people in the industry. Its just one of the prize fighters in our corner.
3. Stay in shape! This has been the hard one for me because I fell off the bandwagon sometime around finals before the holidays and have struggled to get back in shape because of the resolutioners, but! Its not just working out! Being safe, eating healthily, and abstaining from drugs and alcohol will help you all live long, successful, healthy, RICH lives with us. None of yall are dieing on me anytime soon, damnit, we've got shit to do, and while we all have very good health habbits I just put this here to encourage us to keep it up. For me, when shit gets busy, the gym is the first to go. That's why Jag is always in shape, and I'm not. He never relents. lol So good work guys, but remember we live in a shallow world. If we really hope to make a difference where it REALLY matters with our message (among the MOST shallow, and ignorant), we have to first win em over by the means with which they're used to.

To me that's a triple threat to success. When work becomes play, you succeed EVERY DAY. Honestly, I know you guys rag on me for liking Lil Wayne, but he changed my life, and his perspective on work ethic is amazing. He's put out 1,000 songs in 5 years. They may not be prog masterpieces, but he has collaborated with every major artist you LOVE AND HATE, and done it all b y doing his own thing, and WELL, by working HARD.

That's why I say it to all my friends, and I mean it:

You may wonder where I've gone, and what I'm doing, but don't worry, the whole world will know soon enough.

Smile

-Cas
Casprin
Casprin

Back to top Go down

Post  Josh Tue Feb 16, 2010 6:04 pm

Cas, I agree with you 100%! Now that you've mentioned it, we HAVE been writing just to write. I mean, where/what was our purpose? I don't think there was one. I also agree that we should K.I.S.S. it. Keep It Simple Stupid. Lets knock this shit out! I'm in this for the long haul just like everyone else, and also believe that if we base future material off of the accessibility of the TMOS sound, that we will get the furthest.
Josh
Josh

Back to top Go down

Post  Casprin Tue Feb 16, 2010 6:10 pm

AgentOfChaos wrote:
Casprin wrote:

lol

Enlighten me Cass, how is trying an idea out live in the practice space not a good way to go? Rolling Eyes

First of all, my name is spelled Cas.
How you STILL don't know that is beyond me.

And secondly, because the music people hear live bro, in proportion to on track, is staggeringly less. How many people do you think see a whole rock group's tour? 10,000-30,000, being generous? And how many plays do you think ONE song gets? Even the lower artists on MYSPACE ALONE get hundreds of thousands of plays.
Face it, we're not in the era of live sound anymore. A show is to entertain, more so than sound CD quality.

THAT'S RIGHT...

People gauge a show by how it adds up to CD QUALITY. Well if it sounds crappy on the CD...
Ya know?

I mean, its not just that one thing bro, and I know it hurts for someone to say they don't like an idea of yours, but if you can't handle it, you're in the wrong business buddy. Haha. Especially if we're on the brink of an era in this band where we can say as we feel openly for discussion and debate without fear of negative repercussion? We HAVE to be able to take stuff like this with a grain of salt, and in stride.

For us not to, would be childish and ignorant of us, both as a band, and as people.
We're adults now, so, I've done the adult think and listed my reasoning.
If any of it disagrees with your logic, or reasoning, please, feel free to respond.

But, I harbor no negativity, and will always respect you as a musician.
Nonetheless, for you to think every idea you slap down on a track will be gold, is hilariously ignorant. C'mon bro.
We're here to make the BEST music. And sure, you're guitaring on a BAD day is someone else's BEST day, but that's not doing the fans justice. You're not doing YOURSELF and YOUR POTENTIAL justice.

Also, taking stabs at us and our music as if this is some sort of argument or dick contest is lame, and a low blow. Cut that out, shame on you. We're adults here bro, and we love you. Let's move on to the next part of life, where we can talk freely, and grow as people because of it. I know you can, and I know it would make everything a much more positive, constructive, and beneficial environment for us all.

<3

-Cas
Casprin
Casprin

Back to top Go down

Post  Josh Tue Feb 16, 2010 6:11 pm

Lets walk the walk then!
Josh
Josh

Back to top Go down

Post  AgentOfChaos Tue Feb 16, 2010 7:36 pm

Neutral

Last edited by AgentOfChaos on Wed Feb 17, 2010 7:38 am; edited 1 time in total
AgentOfChaos
AgentOfChaos

Back to top Go down

Post  frostypookyeddieeddie Tue Feb 16, 2010 9:58 pm

I think, no, I'm sure, that this situation would be best handled once all of us get together and discuss it as a group. Things can be misread and misinterpreted when posted on the forum, especially if it has to do with opinions or observations about us. Everyone seems to agree on many things, but are taking different roads to get to the same place. There are also assumptions being made that I know to be false, and some to be true, which is why our communication is vital in reassuring truths and dispelling myths.

I know Josh is going to Orlando Friday and returning Saturday, I would like to ask David and Cas to come down Saturday and stay the day or even thru Sunday, should accommodations be available, to help reach a common ground, and also have some fun.

I have been working behind the scenes to get a festival/benefit concert going at Freebird Live! for March 5th, us headlining the show. Nothing is in stone, however I will know for sure by the end of the week if this will come to fruition. This is a tremendous opportunity, so rehearsing and cohesiveness is vital, whether we play the show or not. If you need more details, give me a ring.
frostypookyeddieeddie
frostypookyeddieeddie

Back to top Go down

Post  Josh Wed Feb 17, 2010 11:46 am

Hey guys! Unfortunately, work has added a truck to our week, giving me a truck on Saturday, which will prevent me from being able to go down this weekend. BUT! I agree with Eddie! If we could get you two up here for a day or two (I'm free Saturday afternoon, and all of Sunday) that would be great. I know that David typically works early on Sunday, so if it's too spur-of-the-moment, then maybe we can work out you guys just coming up for Saturday.
Josh
Josh

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Wed Feb 17, 2010 1:48 pm

i will see what i can do.
definitely would love to come up for sure if i can this weekend.
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  frostypookyeddieeddie Thu Feb 18, 2010 1:37 pm

Thank you David, let us know.

Cas, will you be able to make the trip this weekend?
frostypookyeddieeddie
frostypookyeddieeddie

Back to top Go down

Post  Casprin Fri Feb 19, 2010 12:26 pm

While I'd love to try out my new car (That's right, the Beingmobile is no more, its dead.) having to buy it really put me in the whole, and I'm financially paralyzed until the 1st. But Spring Break is early in March, so I have a whole week then. Through the texts I thought you were coming down to record or something my bad.

I'm going to re-Being-i-fy the new car tho. lol
Casprin
Casprin

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum